Saturday, May 14, 2011

Submissive's Vow

I posted this a few days ago but the blog site removed it. Posting it once more....

I've been playing around with marital vows and would love to get the opinion of others. Is this the vow of a submissive to his dominant:

I,_____, take you, ______, to be my lawfully wedded wife, my best friend, my faithful partner and my lover from this day forward. In the presence of God, , I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful husband, standing beside you, standing behind you, there to protect you and always to support, affirm, adore, and revere you, in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you faithfully and unconditionally, to trust you and support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, to share my deepest thoughts, to keep no secrets, and to forsake all others but love you faithfully regardless of the obstacles we may face together. Today I give myself completely to you: my body, my heart, my energy and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.

3 comments:

  1. Mr. IH,

    sounds pretty.

    I feel it also noteworthy, this is the first time a British royal bride did not pledge to 'obey'. To me a titanic shift.

    ;-}

    -SH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a non-native speaker, some subtle hints may elude me, but to me this vow does not sound particularly submissive. To me, it sounds like a vow that could be spoken by both partners (well, of course the word "wife" and "husband" might have to be adapted to fit the actual gender of the partners).
    Maybe the submission would become more obvious in comparison to the vow the dominant takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. Also, perhaps you kneeling and her standing....

    ReplyDelete