Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gag me with a Spoon!

Don't tell me you are one that writes those annual Christmas letters which say things like:

"My husband was just promoted and is now the CEO of company X. My wife just won most influential woman of the year and is recruited to be a part of the Obama task force for femdom and world reconciliation. Our oldest child returned from London this year with three gold medals at the tender age 11. Our middle child, who is in second grade has a 4.0 GPA and will graduate in 7 years as the valedictorian of her class. She's already been accepted into MIT's nanotechnology engineering program and is the schools beauty queen. Finally, our youngest recently played piano compositions by Bach and Mozart while appearing as a guest pianist at a gala in Bucharest Hungary. She will turn three next month."

I hate those letters when they show up in the mail. I mean really? Is your life really that good? Geez, not even a little dirt to share? Yes, I understand you don't want to reveal your family faults but rather cast the best light on your kids and family, but, let’s be real. We all know your oldest has ADHD, your middle child isn't potty trained and your youngest has only spoken three words and the two of you are on the verge of a divorce :)  We all know it so why not just tell us yourself. :)

I was thinking about those letters on Christmas day and wanted to write on that topic.  I hope that when I share about my life with Katie you don't get that same impression because we don't live a dream life.  We have issues. We have stresses. We have our faults. We have baggage that we've accumulated over the years. We have kids that are not perfect. We have insecurities and a myriad of other things that are far from ideal. 

Yet it is easy to push those faults under the rug and write about only the good stuff and, in the process, present to you the reader, that our life is perfect, and so much better than yours.  If you ever felt that, I do apologize because it isn't. That is not my intent although I would never present Katie to you in a way that is not positive. But know that we are just two normal people. We dress like you. We have full-time jobs that occupy much of our time. We worry about the economy. We worry about our kids and their relationships. We talk about vacations we may never ever experience. We get in ruts of eating the same foods and spending too much time in front of the TV and all the other things that are probably a part of your life as well.

Yes, Katie is beautiful - even more on the inside than out. Yes she is smart. Yes she chose me of all people to settle down with. Yes she is the sweetest dominant woman I will ever meet but she is also a normal middle-aged southern gal.  And me, well who in the world knows why she chose me and loves me.  I will be forever grateful and do my best this coming year to show her my gratitude.  I hope you do the same with the one/ones you love as well.

Happy New Year to all that stop by - and feel free to post your annual family letter here for all to read J

I’m Hers

No comments:

Post a Comment