Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Going Under the Knife

Two weeks ago today I visited a chiropractor for the first time in my life - and it will be my last time as well. I had been experiencing a month of low back pain with some intermittent mild sciatica every once in a while.  Ten minutes after leaving I experienced some of the most debilitating pain I've felt in six years - when I first ruptured a disc at L5/S1.  The pain I felt by the time I pulled into the drive ten minutes after leaving his office felt exactly the same.  I knew I was back 'there' once more. I knew he had ruptured it. 

An MRI on Saturday, and a call from the docs assistant today verified that. This afternoon the surgeon called and asked, "how about we fix this on Saturday?"  

"Yes!!" I said. "I'm so ready to do this."

And so once more I'm back on the table and oh I can't wait for him to pull that chunk of nucleus pulposis (the herniated disc material) away from the nerve root.

On Sunday I hope to be able to sleep on my side, sit once more in a chair, walk without pain, no longer camp out all day on the floor, and return to a normal life. 

So, that's the latest. Thanks to all who read, who contribute and who have shared with me how much you care. I'll probably never ever meet you but I've enjoyed getting to know you.

Oh, btw ...... Katie did let me worship her feet.  It was last Thursday. The opening game for the NFL was about to start. I've been waiting to watch football for months and just as the game started, Katie said, "OK, you can tend to my feet."

I don't think she meant to put me into a 'predicament' but when the offer came, there was only once choice - and for all of the first quarter I was in a wonderful place - at her feet!

I'm Hers

11 comments:

  1. Well IH, I certainly sounds like you have some relief coming your way and that's a good thing. We'll all be thinking about and sending you "get-well-soon" thoughts. Hopefully, soon, you'll be able to comfortable assume whatever position your Katie wants you to be in.

    Good luck friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope to get my function back sooner rather than later and get back to living life.

      Delete
  2. Surgery for a herniated disc is quite unusual in that the minute you wake up from the anesthesia, you realize the pain is gone. You can tell if the surgery worked right away. It's amazing. Her's wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the last time and how amazing it felt to get up and actually walk out of the surgical center - pain free. I'm hoping for the same. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Get well soon.... We will all be wishing for a fast recovery... Take care... RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes to you, I'm Her's. I echo the sentiments of the other posters and wish you well, and that the surgery gives you relief. I'm glad your doc was able to schedule your surgery quickly.

    Congratulations on the foot worship that Katie allowed, my friend. That Thursday night NFL opener was high on my list, too. I met my son and his girlfriend at a sports bar and enjoyed the game over beer and chicken wings. It was a very nice time, but not nearly as rewarding that tending to the feet of my Mistress would have been!

    I hope and pray that things go well for you on Saturday, IH, and that your pain issue is resolved. I look forward to hearing from you afterward.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love the NFL, my heart was set on watching the Sunday game. I'm hoping to watch another this sunday and maybe even go to a sports bar on Monday to watch another then as well - and take Katie with me. But those feet were fun to love :)

      Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure all will go well.

      Delete
  5. Hi I'm Hers, I've had VERY similar surgery to you, so I know all too well of the pain you speak of. Good luck with it and I hope you have a full recovery. You haven't mentioned any numbness so I'm assuming your doctor has been a lot quicker to act than mine, which is a great thing for you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RA, I've heard that nerve damage is a slow recovery process. The last time I had none. This time I have some but it's only been for maybe a week. Mostly it's a feeling of having 'heavy legs and cold feet'. No numbness but just feel so week. I can't even do a heel raise on my bad leg anymore. That concerns me. Hope it's a quick healing process after the pressure is taken off the nerve. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Hi, nerve damage is a slow process, I was basically told that any loss of feeling would return within 18 months and if it hadn't come back by then, it wasn't going to. Unfortunately that seems to be the case, and it seems I am stuck with some dead nerves in my right foot. Hopefully yours will work out well though.

      Delete