Friday, September 12, 2014

Having fun with the Nurses

Subhub wrote a post today about changing docs and shared thoughts with revealing to the doc he lives in a WLM. What struck me coincidentally were several conversations Katie and I had with nurses and administration as we took care of the required pre-op required ‘stuff’ the day before my own procedure.  We met with the PA for a few minutes – well that was a waste of time. He sent us on to a surgical center where we met with a woman to go over basic info and to collect $$.  After that the nurse came, then the phlebotomist to draw blood, the ECG tech, and finally to radiology for a chest X-ray.

In the hour we were there we had fun.  When it came time to pay our bill we were asked if we wanted to pay it all or only a portion. I referred her to Katie (who came in with me). Katie decided on paying a third now and setting up a payment schedule for the remaining balance.  Later amidst a hundred questions, the nurse asked me, “Do you feel safe?”  I smiled and said, “As long as I keep her happy.”  We all laughed. Later the phlebotomist said that after my surgery I was to do nothing: no dishes, no vacuuming, and no cooking. No nothing.  I thought it was interesting she mentioned those specific chores and not, something like mowing the grass, working on the car, etc.  I asked her if she ever heard of the expression, “falling onto deaf ears” because Katie was never going to allow that.  Later with the nurse Katie commented that I've lost weight because ‘he’s the one that does all the cooking and now that he isn't, he’s not eating well.” Yesterday I took a phone call to set up the pre-op schedule we completed today. The woman other end asked about payment and I told her if I could defer giving an answer now because my wife needs to make the decision on that.  She told me that would be fine we moved on to other topics. 

We enjoyed ourselves as one person after the other came and did what the doc had ordered. Our responses to some of the questions and some of the discussions we had were lighthearted and yet, those were the first words out of our mouths.  Katie and I have become comfortable letting others know that she is the decision maker.  I've spoken to my mother several times in the past few weeks since my back became a real problem. She has mentioned numerous times about how Katie must be suffering with me being out of commission.  She knows that I idolize her and serve her in various ways.  I am indeed married to a Mistress. She is the head of our home and the fact that she is has become a natural extension of who we are and how we interact.


16 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely post my friend and I must say, I am honored to be mentioned by name in your words. I've also notice too the similarities in our paths and some of the things that happen to us, the interactions with our respective Mistresses and above all else, the genuine and unmitigated joy that we each have in serving them.

    Get well soon buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sub hub.... 'honored'??? C'mon now. I'm just an ordinary guy, a common 'joe' I'm like anyone else. Please, take me off that pedestal and let me walk side by side with you. I like it better that way. Peers, and besides, if you put me up high, you'll be staring at parts of me you really don't want to be staring at! LOL.

      Delete
    2. IH, if by common 'joe' you mean Icon, well yeah! OK, OK, you make a very good point about the view. Come on down and stand on the ground with the rest of us mutts.

      Delete
    3. This must be the best reason ever not to put people on pedestals... I hope everything went OK

      Delete
  2. It's great to see both of you going in to your procedure with upbeat attitudes. I think when you are going through surgery you mental attitude is just as important as your physical well being. Another great post. Will be thinking of you.. Take care both of you... RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had fun RR. Mostly it was because Katie was with me rather than sitting in the waiting room while I had most every department rep coming in to talk to me. We even met a woman who married on the same day as we did. Kind of fun!

      Delete
  3. I love how you honor Katie by openly deferring to her decision-making and leadership. Thanks for sharing your journey through surgery prep together. The people you guys encounter get to experience the love you and Katie share and get a few chuckles along the way.

    Hope that Katie has you up cooking, vacuuming and pampering her soon, IH! Best wishes to you both.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. I feel dramatically better. I'll be up and about soon and back to serving her within a few days.

      Delete
  4. It's interesting reading this because I honestly don't think much about these types of things as being wlm. I mean we've just been this way for so long and hubby defers to me just like this at Dr's or whatever. I call and make his appointments and write the checks to pay the copay. It's just how it is, how it's always been. I appreciate your post because, quite simply, it's nice knowing there are other relationships like ours.

    Sometimes I find it funny when waitresses hand my hubby the bill at dinner assuming her is paying. :) sometimes even after I've given them MY card the give it to him ass if he's supposed to sign.

    Anyway, great post
    ~ Lady M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M,. Glad you took the time to write. Isn't it great when the novelty of interacting as being in a femdom relationship progresses to one of normalness? You guys have obviously been there and done that. I think we have recently been there but it's still fun to share with others. For example in Pre-op the nurse asked me if I had a living will. I told her that Katie was in charge of it. The nurse said, "she's probably in charge every day." and I said, "in ways you cannot even imagine." Of course it was an inside joke between the two of us but nevertheless the point was that Katie is the one in charge not me.

      Love it when you post!

      Delete
  5. Hi IH,

    Today is Saturday and I know you are going under the knife today. A normal person wouldn't understand looking forward to having surgery, but I've been in the pain you are in and know how you are feeling. Just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking about you and Mrs Katie today. Hope you wake up free from nerve pain and have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishful4 - I FEEL GREAT!!!! No pain, I can sit, stand, walk. Ahh, life is good. Doc says he pulled out about an 1" of the ruptured disc that was lodged between the vertebra and the nerve root. Hopefully there is nothing more in that disc that can ever come out. As for now, I'm loving it! Thanks for your concern

      Delete
  6. I'm happy that you are doing well, IH. Hope you and Katie enjoy the weekend, and that you get off your lazy butt now and get back to serving Katie like she deserves. ;-)

    Take care,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy butt! Lazy butt! LOL, OK, yea I've been lazy. We made love for the first time in weeks, I made the bed, straightened the bathroom and bedroom, cooked her breakfast, started putting together a big salad for later..... and now I'm sitting talking to 'YOU! The first lazy thing I've done all morning :) Maybe it's this blog that makes me lazy. Have a great week Scott.

      Delete
  7. You crack me up, IH, and inspire me at the same time. I hope that your sense of humor gets you in serious trouble with Katie! :-)

    Best wishes to you both,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw! I know how to have a little fun but I always know where the line is that I'm never to cross! Yes, that day was a fun day playing with the ladies a bit :)

      Delete