Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Females aren't superior - they aren't even smarter (not that it matters)

I don’t know why it is but when I read blogs stating that one gender is superior to the other it rubs me the wrong way. It has nothing to do with the fact that I believe men are superior or that I am internally struggling with the fact that I am now a submissive and have to somehow cope with the fact that I have permanently lost many privileges when I married Katie and pledged my obedience and service. Rather it has more to do with broad sweeping statements that are ill thought through. There is one such blog in particular that I very much enjoy reading but at times present posts that unequivocally state on no uncertain terms that females are the superior sex. I disagree.

If one country is militarily superior to another it means that if the weaker country decides to assert itself it’s going to get its butt kicked in by the stronger.  Superior means just that. It means that it is mightier, better, more powerful, more intelligent, more capable, etc.

What gets under my skin per se is not so much the statement that women are superior (well that’s part of it) but it’s the statement spoken with such broad sweeping strokes and little objective evidence to back it up. For example an advocate might state that more girls go to college than boys. This statement is true but does going to college make you superior? How many of you call the local PhD in English to fix your ailing car? I’ve never contacted my local shrink with an advanced psych degree to consider putting an addition onto my home. I wonder why? I’ve yet to see a plumber advertize that because he has a terminal history degree he’s the plumber of choice. What does taking English, psychology, history and other classes mean in these situations? It’s all situational. I believe in education. I’ve been a professor for many years but I also know that just because I help others learn something in academia that in itself doesn’t translate to being superior in all facets of life.

Another statement promoting female superiority is more females are valedictorians. The unstated premise is they are smarter than men (just as the previous statement about going to college assumed). However, if you do a Google search on comparing IQ by gender you’ll find different results. IQ’s are almost gender equal and if anything, tend to favor males by a few points. Bottom line: going to college or being at the top of your class doesn’t mean your superior. It means you have a desire to work harder than whomever graduates #2 or 32 or 102. Remember Thomas Edison and Ben Franklin never even walked into a school. They educated themselves at home. Go figure!

If the premise of women being superior is true then the data should present itself across the board.  If country A is militarily superior then it shouldn’t matter if an enemy attacks by land, air or sea. If they’re superior they will be able to defend themselves and cause enough devastation to their advisory to wipe them out, regardless of how they are attacked. If females are indeed superior then why can find all that is listed below? If one gender is indeed superior then all the data would point in that direction. It doesn’t. I found specific data showing the fallacy of this belief system. (If I wanted, I could have found just as much data demonstrating male weakness but that’s not my point.)

Now before the reader gets all bent out of shape let me state: I don’t believe I am superior to Katie. I don’t believe I’m superior to your spouse but neither do I believe Katie or your spouse is superior to me.  Each of us has strengths. Each has weaknesses. I have chosen to obey Katie and serve her. My submission has nothing to do with how smart, healthy or emotionally stable she is. Rather it has everything to do with my conscious decision to obey and trust and her commitment to lead. Katie wisely chooses to sometimes take my point of view into consideration when she makes decisions on our behalf.  She doesn’t always but she always keeps her options open. She decides; I obey. She directs; I follow. She has responsibilities to lead and run our home; I follow her orders and do what she wants to make our home and marriage run smoothly. Our relationship is not about who’s superior and who’s not; it’s about who leads and who obeys. That is a far different marriage dynamic. 

If you are one that believes in female superiority then you have to reconcile what is listed below. If females are indeed superior they should not fall short to male ‘performance’ in any area. Yet they do. So the question that begs to be asked is why do they fall short in so many areas if they are indeed superior? Is all this a lie? Is it all made up? Is all the compiled data wrong or don’t you want to accept what all these studies state? If you choose to ignore all that’s there, is that really superior thinking? Food for thought.
I’m Hers

The data:

* Women are two to six times more likely to sustain athletic injuries than men. Women's bodies are not biomechanically designed for the demands of sport due to wider hips, shorter legs, weaker muscles and weaker joints/ligaments.

* Of the more than 5 million people in the United States who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s (the leading cause of dementia) two-thirds are women.

* According to Prevent Blindness America (PBA), women are more susceptible than men to vision impairment and comprise 2.6 of the 4.1 million Americans age 40 and older who are visually impaired or blind. Data showed that more women than men experience age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.

* Women are more susceptible to death and disease from infectious pathogens.

* Women are more likely to suffer from PTSD than men.

* Women are known to have a higher risk of a range of anxiety disorders.

* Women are more likely to suffer from depression than males.

* From the CDC: Most people with fibromyalgia are women (Female: Male ratio 7:1).

* From Wikipedia: Several meta-studies between 1994 and 2005 found mean IQ of men exceeding that of women by a range of 3–5 points. Jackson and Rushton found males aged 17–18 years had average of 3.63 IQ points in excess of their female equivalents. Helmuth Nyborg found an average advantage for males of 3.8 IQ points.

* Women suffer from monthly mood swings due to hormonal variations.

* Women are more likely to experience osteoporosis than men.

* Women are more susceptible to the damaging effects of alcohol than men. Both women and female animals are more susceptible to the negative or toxic effects of alcohol. This is true for the liver, heart muscle, skeletal muscle, and it may be true for the pancreas and the brain. In other words, there is something about the female gender that makes them more susceptible to toxic amounts of alcohol.

* Diabetes is more deadly for women. It increases their risk for heart disease 6’x (vs 2-3 times for males). It reduces longevity by over 8 years vs about 7 for men. It increases their risk for depression (2:1 vs males). Diabetic women have more problems than men controlling blood glucose, are more likely to become obese, have higher blood pressure and have unhealthy cholesterol levels.

* Women are more likely to be susceptible to smoking related lung cancers. Researchers focused on a gene called KRAS G12D. Women were more likely than men to have the KRAS G12C mutation, and they developed the disease at a younger age and with a shorter history of smoking.

* Studies have shown that women are more prone to cannabis abuse and dependence than men. In women, cannabis withdrawal symptoms of irritability, sleep disruption and decreased food intake was shown to be more severe, and women also have a higher likelihood of relapsing when quitting the drug.

* The physiology of the female genital tract makes women inherently more vulnerable to HIV than men.

* As with scoliosis in childhood, adult scoliosis is more common in women than in men. In the Johns Hopkins study, which was published in the American Journal of Neuroradiology, females were 1.5 times as likely as males to have scoliosis.

* Women are twice as vulnerable to stress as men because of greater sensitivity to a substance produced at times of anxiety. They found that they are not only more sensitive to low levels of "corticotropin-releasing factor" (CRT) but less able to cope when levels are high.

* When looking at data comparing male versus female concussion injury rates in sports where both sexes play the same sport, females clearly predominate.

* Women are more susceptible to autoimmune diseases than males The sex bias in autoimmune diseases, in which the body's immune system attacks its host, has been known for more than a century. (Women account for roughly three-quarters of all diagnoses.)  Here is a list of such diseases:

Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis
Addison’s disease
Agammaglobulinemia
Alopecia areata
Amyloidosis
Ankylosing spondylitis
Anti-GBM/Anti-TBM nephritis
Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)
Autoimmune angioedema
Autoimmune aplastic anemia
Autoimmune dysautonomia
Autoimmune hepatitis
Autoimmune hyperlipidemia
Autoimmune immunodeficiency
Autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED)
Autoimmune myocarditis
Autoimmune oophoritis
Autoimmune pancreatitis
Autoimmune retinopathy
Autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura (ATP)
Autoimmune thyroid disease
Autoimmune urticaria
Axonal & neuronal neuropathies
Balo disease
Behcet’s disease
Bullous pemphigoid
Cardiomyopathy
Castleman disease
Celiac disease
Chagas disease
Chronic fatigue syndrome**
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
Chronic recurrent multifocal ostomyelitis (CRMO)
Churg-Strauss syndrome
Cicatricial pemphigoid/benign mucosal pemphigoid
Crohn’s disease
Cogans syndrome
Cold agglutinin disease
Congenital heart block
Coxsackie myocarditis
CREST disease
Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia
Demyelinating neuropathies
Dermatitis herpetiformis
Dermatomyositis
Devic’s disease (neuromyelitis optica)
Discoid lupus
Dressler’s syndrome
Endometriosis
Eosinophilic esophagitis
Eosinophilic fasciitis
Erythema nodosum
Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
Evans syndrome
Fibromyalgia**
Fibrosing alveolitis
Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis)
Giant cell myocarditis
Glomerulonephritis
Goodpasture’s syndrome
Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA) (formerly called Wegener’s Granulomatosis)
Graves’ disease
Guillain-Barre syndrome
Hashimoto’s encephalitis
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
Hemolytic anemia
Henoch-Schonlein purpura
Herpes gestationis
Hypogammaglobulinemia
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
IgA nephropathy
IgG4-related sclerosing disease
Immunoregulatory lipoproteins
Inclusion body myositis
Interstitial cystitis
Juvenile arthritis
Juvenile diabetes (Type 1 diabetes)
Juvenile myositis
Kawasaki syndrome
Lambert-Eaton syndrome
Leukocytoclastic vasculitis
Lichen planus
Lichen sclerosus
Ligneous conjunctivitis
Linear IgA disease (LAD)
Lupus (SLE)
Lyme disease, chronic
Meniere’s disease
Microscopic polyangiitis
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)
Mooren’s ulcer
Mucha-Habermann disease
Multiple sclerosis
Myasthenia gravis
Myositis
Narcolepsy
Neuromyelitis optica (Devic’s)
Neutropenia
Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
Optic neuritis
Palindromic rheumatism
PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcus)
Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration
Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
Parry Romberg syndrome
Parsonnage-Turner syndrome
Pars planitis (peripheral uveitis)
Pemphigus
Peripheral neuropathy
Perivenous encephalomyelitis
Pernicious anemia
POEMS syndrome
Polyarteritis nodosa
Type I, II, & III autoimmune polyglandular syndromes
Polymyalgia rheumatica
Polymyositis
Postmyocardial infarction syndrome
Postpericardiotomy syndrome
Progesterone dermatitis
Primary biliary cirrhosis
Primary sclerosing cholangitis
Psoriasis
Psoriatic arthritis
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
Pyoderma gangrenosum
Pure red cell aplasia
Raynauds phenomenon
Reactive Arthritis
Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
Reiter’s syndrome
Relapsing polychondritis
Restless legs syndrome
Retroperitoneal fibrosis
Rheumatic fever
Rheumatoid arthritis
Sarcoidosis
Schmidt syndrome
Scleritis
Scleroderma
Sjogren’s syndrome
Sperm & testicular autoimmunity
Stiff person syndrome
Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE)
Susac’s syndrome
Sympathetic ophthalmia
Takayasu’s arteritis
Temporal arteritis/Giant cell arteritis
Thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
Tolosa-Hunt syndrome
Transverse myelitis
Type 1 diabetes
Ulcerative colitis
Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD)
Uveitis
Vasculitis
Vesiculobullous dermatosis
Vitiligo
Wegener’s granulomatosis (now termed Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA)

23 comments:

  1. One more thing: Women live longer than men. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cagedlion,
      Thanks for commenting but I believe you comment missed my point. As I stated, I could list lots of examples where men fall short but that wasn't the point of this post. My point is: if X is superior to Y then X will always be superior to Y - no matter how you evaluate and compare X and Y together. Yes women live longer but then there is all of this other 'stuff' in which they are 'worse off' then men. If they were indeed superior then all of this 'bad' stuff would be more common with males. Go figure :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! We're all such sorry humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      We all succumb to something as we age. Maybe seeing all of those auto-immune diseases was a bit overwhelming. It was for me. Have a great week doing whatever it is you do.

      Delete
  3. Hi I'm Hers

    Wow is your keyboard smoking? Lol

    Are women superior to men no and possible yes. Oh that fence sitting thing!

    I take on board your points and I agree to them in the whole.

    Me being me have to ask why do you then submit to your wonderful Lady if think like that, clearly you accept Her final decisions and rulings, this makes it clear that you think She is better at making the final choice, this I feel makes Her superior to you in this case. Women are more family orentated and in the main better home-makers. Does this make them superior to me, in the home yes, in my business no. Over-all are women more superior to me, no. Are women who have entered into an FLM/FLR superior to me? in my eyes yes. They have taken on the heavy mantel of Leadership and Dominance and should receive; at least; my respect and a tacit acknowledgment of their superiority to me. That doesn't mean they get my obedience or to command me, that's my Mistresses Governese that control these actions.

    Regards
    m



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. m,
      Glad to hear from you. I knew this would fuel a discussion but I can't let the whole superior/inferior thing go. Maybe I still have an ego that needs to be squelched. Who knows. You bring up a good question: why do I submit to Katie? I don't even think of the word 'superior' when I contemplate that answer. Rather I submit because I want to. It fills a need in me, much the same way that getting a good spanking from Mistress S does for you. There is something that Katie fills when I let go and let her take control. I love pleasing her when we make love. I love being told what to do. I love doing something and seeing her smile in appreciation or thanks. I love it when she grabs my crotch to check to see if I am locked as she commanded me to do when I awoke. But superior/inferior isn't a player in this. It's different. And obviously hard for me to explain.
      Katie approved this post (as she does for all of them). She doesn't view herself superior to me but rather views herself as the one who is in charge. There is a difference between the two. Take care over on the other side of the pond :)

      Delete
  4. Hi I'm Hers

    Always good to stir the pot. I think the maxim is that we all can't be good at every thing we do. Each and everyone of us brings unique qualities to the world. Some good, some not so much. Who is better at a particular point in time or activity is situational. Life would be boring without diversity. Women who lead in their relationship do so because in this aspect of our shared lives they are better at it. DtBHC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DtBHC, I think you have a healthy perspective on this superior/inferior, Domme/sub way of living. I agree with most of all that you said. I still don't know if women are better at leading but I think for the most part they might be-at least those that are comfortable and willing to assume that role.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes at church we will sing a song that has male parts and female parts. I really enjoy that type of music, and it makes me think that men and women aren't better than one another but rather different (and I have not problem with that!) and COMPLEMENTARY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovetosubmit, I like your singing analogy. To hear either a men's choir or a women's choir is something very beautiful in and of itself. One sounds strong, the other angelic but both are beautiful to listen to. Married couples are indeed complementary beings and have individual strengths worth considering.

      As the passage in Ecclesiastes states: two are better than one and a three corded strand is not easily broken.

      Delete
  6. I don't disagree with your premise, and I write this as someone who gets annoyed when a reader suggests that I need to submit not just to my wife, but to every wife. But, there is one thing that strikes me about your list and that that may have a bearing on whether one sex is better trusted, on average, wth leadership. Almost all the items on your list relate to *physical* differences. On physical measures, you could be right about the relative frailty of one sex versus the other. But, when you look at *behavioral* differences, men:

    -- are far more likely to die of gunshots and other violence
    -- are far more likely to die from non-violent trauma and accidents
    -- die in car crashes in far higher numbers than women
    -- CAUSE people to die in car crashes far more often than women
    -- have higher rates of suicide
    -- consistently have higher rates of alcohol-related deaths and hospitalizations than women.

    Generally, if someone gets a Darwin Award for dying as a result of silly, stupid, high-risk conduct, it is more likely to be a man.

    I'm also not sure that your points about IQ and status as valedictorians support your point, because if men and women are equal in IQ, but women are outpeforming men in grades, college entrance exams and college graduation rates, then women seem to be doing more with the intellectual gifts that God gave them, by working harder, trying harder, being more focused, better organized, etc.

    All that being the case, perhaps in general the world really would be a better place if more women imposed more rules on the behavior of more men. Just food for thought.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. They are much appreciated. I found the IQ vs advanced degree/valedictorian rate dichotomy interesting myself. My personal thought is that men are lazier than their female counterparts - at least when evaluating the 14-18 year old population. I mean, objective IQ tests seemed to have verified that the genders are about intellectually equal and with a 3 point difference, I don't even know if that is even significant. However, I found the discrepancy disturbing to say the least. There is a need for both genders to seek further education IF they desire careers in the white collared fields. We need both perspectives when decisions need to be made. Both genders have strengths and we've seen the inadequacies of only having one do all the decision making. However, I still bristle when others state that just because a boy or girl chooses a higher paying job that that means they are 'smarter'. I know a lot of pretty dumb profs when they are outside their area of expertise (and who knows, they might say the same about me!).

      Delete
  7. I am going with the premise that as humans we are all the same as far as possibilities. I don't think either sex has the tendency to be superior or smarter. Although every person has his or her own talents and some are smarter than others, That difference isn't determined by gender. I have read on many occasions that some sub men squawk about being inferior to women. Maybe individually you are inferior to some women and vice versa but as a whole I believe on average we are all the same. I see you have tons of evidence to go with this but truth is I don't care. I believe we are all equal and that's my story. Hell who knows maybe the smartest person ever born was born in an area of the world where they never got a chance to showcase their talents or got hit by a bus when they were a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOS, so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and that our friend lost a loved one. I need to write him. As to your comment, I agree with all you say. It's about submission not smarts. The best wives are those that understand that they can choose to listen to the words of her husband if she wants. There is nothing wrong with getting the input from others. In my world, I do that when asked but understand that I won't make the final decisions on most things. Glad to see you back blogging.

      Delete
  8. It has also bothered me that people in FLRs often say that women are superior to men. Not all women are cut out for leadership, not all men are able to live as a submissive. We each have our own strengths that tend to balance each other out. As a woman, I tend to admire our strengths of being nurturers, intuitives, compassionate, etc. I find women as a whole to be more spiritual. Not that men can't be those things, but it seems to be more a part of a woman's life. The entire reason imo that women are now taking on more of a leadership role going into the future is because our world is heading into a new age and will need a different style of leadership. The old style will no longer be effective if it ever was. The world is changing and it is time for a more female led society. I welcome the challenges to come. I am excited that we will be heading in a different direction. And I am proud of the role I will take in seeing that happen.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      This is a nice comment. What I mean is that it is filled with wisdom and a sense of purpose. I can feel your call to be a leader and an understanding that your life in the future will be different than it was in your youth - as you see yourself in a changing world with more and more women in the forefront of leading. The man you end up with will indeed be a lucky guy! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  9. Wow, don't sugar coat it. Please tell us what you really think, LOL. I'm like you. I submit to my wife, because I want to submit to my wife. No matter what standard you set, one of the sexes will come up short. I don't particularly care for my mother and my sister could screw up traffic on a one way street. But my wife, well, my breathing slows down, the endorphins go up and all is well with the world. We all are different, our spouses are different. What is poison to you is nourishment to me. When you find that spouse that completes you-"two working as one"- all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I need to be clear - dreadfully so - to make points at time. If I sugar coat these kinds of topics they get misconstrued and I didn't want to go there on this one. Thanks for stopping buy and especially for taking the time to share an opinion/thoughts

      Delete
  10. My wife and I love are FLR and she is the leader in our marriage and we wouldn't change it for the world. I believe we are our born we certain gifts in life and once we figure out what they are we can use them in our marriage ,work ect.One of my wife's gift is leadership and that is one of the reasons that our FLR works so well.I on the other hand love being a supportive person .We don't feel one is smarter then the other we use our gifts for what works best in our relationship. I sometimes tease my wife and tell her the I had to be somewhat intelligent because I was smart enough to ask her to marry me. RR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RR, you make me smile. Of course you have a wee bit of intelligence. Probably more than I. Me, I am the one shooting from the hip writing posts like this that say to some, "I'm going to crucify him with a comment" :) Like you, I enjoy letting my wife lead. She is good at it and is more patient (less impulsive) than I am when it comes to making decisions. And because she is in control she has more perspective now in directing me in those ways that best help her, and our home run smoothly. Stay warm friend! It's going to get cold this week.

      Delete
  11. I agree with you that neither sex is inherently inferior or superior. I've met a girl with a dominant streak and, while it is too early to be certain, it seems likely that the dom/sub dynamic will be limited to the bedroom, and we're both OK with that. Neither one of us thinks we're better than the other, it's just a matter of personal inclinations. If a woman leans toward the submissive role, does that make her less of a woman? If women are truly superior, does that mean that a dominant male is actually more feminine?

    The main point I want to address is the notion that women are intellectually/academically superior. There is a perception in most fields that women have historically been excluded. When I was in college, I was lucky to get scholarships that didn't even cover the cost of textbooks. The vast majority of scholarships specifically stated that they were being aimed at women and minorities. I was accepted to grad school, but was unable to attend due to not getting a scholarship. Yet a female student who simply copied her boyfriend's homework and had poorer grades got a full scholarship as a teaching assistant. So it seems to me that the (perceived) female academic superiority as measured by greater numbers in higher education is more of a socio-economic situation in which the bulk of financial assistance is being reserved for demographic groups that were historically under-represented, with the result that others who are just as, if not more, capable are unable to reach their potential not because of a lack of effort but because of a lack of funding. In the workplace, I've been with several companies that openly admit they go out of their way to promote female workers. There are professional organizations aimed specifically at supporting/aiding women-owned businesses. I have to wonder - if female students are doing better in K-12, is it really because they are smarter? Or is it just that teachers are being pressured to put more effort into nurturing the girls to succeed?

    So no, I don't think there's any such thing as a superior sex. Women might, on average, be better at some things, and men at others. And if two people in a relationship decide to add dominance/submission into their relationship, and to what degree, that's purely up to them. There's nothing wrong with a man submitting to the woman in his life. But by the same token, there is nothing wrong if a woman voluntarily submits to a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for making the point about bias for women in education that makes lots of sense. I have another post still in a draft form that speaks to that very issue that will go up in a month - assuming I finish writing it. As much as I believe that our society has been biased against women for generations I do believe that there is much need for real equality between the genders and I don't know that our society/government/community is going to be able to achieve that. It's sad when either party is left behind.

      I do hope you take the time to stop by again and continue to enjoy the dominant streak of your female friend in the bedroom :)
      Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for making the point about bias for women in education that makes lots of sense. I have another post still in a draft form that speaks to that very issue that will go up in a month - assuming I finish writing it. As much as I believe that our society has been biased against women for generations I do believe that there is much need for real equality between the genders and I don't know that our society/government/community is going to be able to achieve that. It's sad when either party is left behind.

      I do hope you take the time to stop by again and continue to enjoy the dominant streak of your female friend in the bedroom :)
      Thanks again!

      Delete